Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day and Service

There are very few callings more fulfilling than a tour of duty or a career spent in military service. As we approach this Memorial Day weekend, let us honor the fallen by ensuring that our future is worth the sacrifice of their tomorrows. Behind every grave of a fallen soldier is a spouse without a loved one to whom they pledged their undying love, a child who will never again feel the warmth of their parent’s embrace, or a mother and father who have lost the son or daughter they once cradled lovingly in their arms. Such losses are unmatched but can be seen at any of a 100 national cemeteries across the United States where there are military graves.

At Arlington National Cemetery, our nation’s preeminent military cemetery, America’s most recent war dead (Iraq and Afghanistan veterans) are buried in Section 60, also know as the “saddest acre in America”. Arlington also contains the remains of more than 260,000 brave men and women who gave their lives for their country. Others that are laid to rest there also include Presidents and Supreme Court Justices, astronauts and significant historical figures, Medal of Honor recipients and Five Star Officers, along with more than 4,700 unidentified soldiers represented by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Several years back I visited Arlington. What I saw there left a profound sense of emptiness in my soul and has stayed with me and touched me in a way that I will never forget. The cemetery has a peacefulness about it, but as I stood there and viewed the rows and rows of white tombstones stretching towards the horizon, I realized the real cost of war, the real cost of freedom, and the real sacrifices our service men and women make for our country every day. I could not help but feel the loss and the sadness of those families as I stood in such a sacred place that epitomizes the honor of service of our military. Each tombstone gives voice to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to their country.

I don't know how you plan to spend Memorial Day, but I hope you will take a moment to remember those who have served, suffered, and given their lives in defense of our country.

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful and well written. What so few now realize about the cost of the freedom they take so lightly.

    ReplyDelete